Ag Working Group
Moving Agriculture Forward
Project Background and Description
The North Cariboo Community Opportunities Session was held on September 20, 2016 to support increased economic development and diversification with a focus on small business. Representatives from First Nations, other levels of government, and community leaders collaborated with North Cariboo region stakeholders on future economic opportunities.
Following the session, the Quesnel Small Business Resource Team and other key stakeholder groups including agriculture, moved forward the implementation of the priority actions identified at the meeting, by holding a “Working Group” session on October 7th, 2016. During this session, the status of the priority actions was discussed and working group team leaders identified. The North Cariboo Agricultural Marketing Association (dba FARMED) was selected as the team leader for the Agriculture Working Group. Through further outreach members of the Agriculture Working Group were identified and a Terms of Reference developed.
The purpose of the Agriculture Working Group is to support the implementation of the priority actions
Identified at the North Cariboo Opportunities Session, which include:
- The formation of an Agricultural Development Advisory Committee;
- Furthering progress on the Quesnel Agriculture Centre Feasibility Study;
- Developing an agricultural employment strategy; and
- Developing a marketing plan for the “Grown for you” brand.
For information on the Agricultural Development Advisory Committee go to: https://cariboord.ca/agriculture
The Agriculture Working Group is pleased to announce approval by the Cariboo Regional District for the formation of a North Cariboo Agricultural Development Advisory Committee (ADAC) through the North Cariboo economic development function and the adoption on April 13, 2018 of the CRD North Cariboo Rural Agricultural Development Advisory Committee Bylaw No. 5137, 2018. https://cariboord.bc.ca/uploads/news/id562/Board%20Highlights%20-%202018.04.13.pdf
The purpose of the Agricultural Development Advisory Committee of the North Cariboo includes:
- Partnering with local government to further economic development and build critical mass within the industry;
- Providing a coordinating body for accessing funding for major projects;
- Providing links between producers, processors, agriculture organizations, Farmers Institutes and government at all levels;
- Raising awareness of agriculture; and
- Enhancing an understanding of agriculture’s role in the local and/or regional economy.